Sunday, October 5, 2008

OhmyGodyouguysNKOTBwasAWESOME!

I wrote the title of the post that way in hopes you would read it really fast and squealy, kind of like a preteen girl would say it. Because that's totally how I was feeling on Saturday night at the New Kids on the Block concert.

In short: I screamed my fool head off and had a fantastic time. My friend Lisa came up from Indiana for the show and spent two hours laughing at me screaming my fool head off, especially when I yelled, "I love you, Joey!" at the top of my lungs. But I meant it. And I'm sure he heard me. Besides, we went with three other girls, and at least one of them was screaming her fool head off, too. So it wasn't just me.

They sounded good. They looked great. Our seats were perfect. And I had a completely crappy week at work, so I needed something ridiculous and fun, and finding out I remembered every lyric to songs I hadn't even heard in almost 20 years was just what the doctor ordered. :)

Seriously...who can't get into some Hangin' Tough? Who doesn't want to scream like a maniac when their favorite group from childhood is on stage and actually sounding good, and dancing just like they did in 1990 (hello, penguin dance from The Right Stuff!)? Who doesn't think Joey McIntyre is SMOKIN' HOT?

I had the BEST time. I was a little hoarse after the concert and I didn't care. I laughed. I swooned. I danced. I waved my hands in the air like I just didn't care. I sang every word to every song at the top of my lungs. And I wasn't even drunk (unlike this girl in front of us, who came back after last call going, "You guys, THERE IS NO MORE ALCOHOL. THERE IS NO MORE ALCOHOL"...something that certainly did not happen the last time I saw NKOTB...)!

Here are some photo highlights.

Here is my ticket (that lovely background is one of our placemats...I could have cropped it out but just didn't feel like it):


This is a blurry camera phone picture of the main stage. They're singing and dancing there, but you can't see them because stage lighting is not nice to camera phones:


And this is a blurry camera phone picture of when they were on their "second stage," which was a little turntable thing in the middle of the crowd. If I had been next to them, I think I would have peed my pants. Or perhaps I would have tried to grope Joey McIntyre:


NKOTB forever, baby. I wish I could have gone back again the next night to see them. LOVE THEM.

Don't rain on my nostalgia parade, either. I won't have it. Any malicious comments will not be approved. But I can totally take good-natured teasing. I probably deserve it. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must concur about the New Kids concert. I believe I was screaming my head off and jumpimg up and down. Well, as much as I could with a baby in my belly.

It was a great time and they really did sound and look awesome. My husband also thought I was being silly, but he likes Barry Manilow, so he has no room to talk.

I also dreamed about marrying Joey and, alas, that dream never came true. However, I agree that the dream has changed a little since 7th grade. Since we're both married to other people - people we love, of course - I would be willing to spend ONE NIGHT with Joey. I would be willing to make that sacrifice. Contrary to how I felt when I was 12, this time, I can settle for that. And I think Doug would agree...as long as I give him a free pass if Eva Mendes ever knocks on our door.

For some reason, my hormones have shown up in full force between now and when I was 12. I guess I'm not as innocent as I used to be and, as Jessie said, neither are they. Which is good, because I would question their sincerity if they still sang about walking girls home from school and holding hands at the movies.

NKOTB FOREVER!

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm glad to hear they had a last call for liquor at the New Kids show. Those fans are worse than a 7th inning crowd at Murphy's during a playoff game. CRAZY KIDS!