Monday, August 24, 2009

OBX, Day 1: first flight & sand dunes

Woo! Vacation!

That is the official Family Vacation Cry, and the three of us have been chanting it all day. We are in the Outer Banks and already having a great time. It was H's first time on a plane - and her ears were just as bad as we thought they would be, despite Benadryl and cookies and apple juice and a very sweet flight attendant who offered all kinds of help. But we all got through it. Before her ears started popping, she was having a rockin' time on the plane - especially when we flew through a cloud on our way up! She kept giggling and going, "Whoa!" and staring out the window. At one point she even held up her stuffed penguin, Chilly, so he could see the view from the plane, too. I think she probably loved 50% of the plane trip and then didn't like 50% because of her ears.

We flew into Norfolk and then drove down to the Outer Banks. H fell asleep in the car practically before we'd left the airport. She thought it was very funny that we "borrowed" a car (I don't think she understands "rent" yet). I was just impressed that a mid-sized car has more cargo space than my SUV does...but it's good because at least all of our luggage fit.

Aside, before I forget: H has been singing, "We're on vacation! We're on vacation!" and "Outer Banks! Outer Banks!" all day today. It is adorable. I don't think I've ever seen anybody so excited to go on vacation, which is funny because she didn't even really know what vacation was before this. I doubt she's able to remember the last family vacation we took three years ago.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled story. We got to our hotel, checked in and headed down to the beach so we could all get a look at the ocean. H is adamant that she will not be going in the water, which is okay...I think she would like to live in the sand, so we'll just do that instead. We made a stop at the grocery store after dinner (we have a suite with a kitchenette), and while we were there we picked up a few beach toys to aid in the construction of sand castles. :)

We went to a local restaurant for dinner, where I had the first of what I think will be several consecutive seafood dinners. Then B drove us around for awhile so we could check out the area, and we happened upon a state park that's full of sand dunes. B thought we should stop (he's much better at spontaneous vacation stuff than I am), so we did, and it was the best part of the day! H had an awesome time running up and down the dunes, and we got to see lots of people flying kites! We're going back sometime while we're here so we can try to fly H's penguin kite. She's very excited about that. I don't think I've ever seen her so happy...just being able to run around someplace new, watch the sun set over a "hill made of sand" and get dirty. Must be heaven when you're 4. I have to say B and I were pretty happy, too. :)

The point of this vacation was to go somewhere relaxing and just BE for several days...and I think we are off to a good start. Tomorrow I think our plans consist entirely of the following: 1) breakfast; 2) kite flying on the beach; 3) lunch; 4) Wright Brothers Memorial; 5) dinner. Probably enough for one day.

No comments: