Tuesday, August 25, 2009

OBX, Day 2: sand, kite, sand, ocean, pizza

I'm tired!

Today started in my favorite way: sleeping in. I was the first one up, and I woke up at 8:30. I decided to hustle and get ready so I could grab breakfast for us before the free breakfast at the hotel closed. They have waffles!

H has really been looking forward to flying her penguin kite, so we decided to do that after breakfast. B checked the beach and it was crowded, so we drove back to the Jockey Ridge State Park to climb some sand dunes and fly the kite there. It didn't feel very windy, but we were able to fly the kite, which made all of us happy. :) (Funny - trying to fly a kite in the same sort of wind at home would've never worked...because there's too much stuff to block it!) I think the sand dunes are our favorite vacation spot so far. H said this was her favorite part of the day.

After climbing sand dunes and kite-flying, we were hungry and thirsty. (Lesson One for today: when one will be climbing giant sand dunes, one should remember to bring water.) We came back to the hotel to make a quick lunch. This was one of our strokes of genius for this vacation, as eating sandwiches in the room is not only cheaper, but also quicker than eating out. H had also been begging to go to the beach and make sand castles, so we decided to do that after lunch.

The great surprise of the day is that, in a family of non-beachgoers (none of us like water all that much, and at least two-thirds of us do not much care for wearing swimsuits), we had an awesome time. I think we spent about two hours hanging out on the beach. B and I walked in the water (B found some extremely cool seashells), but H wouldn't go near it. We were forced, instead, to bring buckets of the ocean up to where she was playing in the sand so that she could at least stick her hands in the water and rinse off before we came back inside. This kid does not enjoy water. Period. It even took some convincing before she believed that the water was not going to come up to where she was. But we all had fun building sand castles (B kept building some closer to the water to see how long it would take for a wave to knock them down). I was proud that none of us got sunburned (although Lesson Two for the day is that you don't fully appreciate how effective sunscreen is until you see the weird random sunburned patch that you missed when applying...I have one on my leg and B has one on his back).

After beach time, H was covered with sand, and since she refused to go in the water she went into the bathtub instead. We had some downtime in the hotel room, then decided to go to the Wright Brothers Memorial. It's right down the street from our hotel, and we feel a special kinship with Wilbur, since he was born in the county where B and I are from. We learned that while Orville gets the credit for the first powered flight, Wilbur had the longest flight of the day. We also learned that the memorial tower is at the top of a giant hill for no apparent reason (the park rangers say it's because it's where the Wright brothers would've built it if they'd had the choice, but nobody knows that, and I think it was just to torture poor tourists into walking up a giant hill). Though it was a tiring climb, and H spent part of it on B's shoulders and part of it riding on my back, the view was worth it. I'm glad we did it...but it was probably a bit more difficult since we'd already spent the morning climbing sand dunes! (Lesson Three for the day: when planning to climb up a big hill to look at a memorial tower, also bring water.)

Dinner tonight was at a little local pizza place down the street from our hotel, which was quite good. I joked that it was our duty as pseudo-Chicagoans to check out pizza places in other markets to make sure ours were still the best. :) However, this was my one night off from seafood. I'm committed to eating lots of seafood for the rest of the trip.

Tomorrow I think we're going to try to head to Roanoke Island...although we might change our minds and decide to do something else. Whatever. Woo! Vacation!

1 comment:

lee@marsheslight.com said...

Hope you make it to Roanoke Island - there's lots to do and see and I recommend lunch at Poor Richards, very casual, but tasty. you can see more area recommendations & stuff at my blog www.beachroadtomanteo.com. Have fun!