Monday, January 14, 2008

I'm over it

For those of you concerned about my mental and emotional well-being after the Colts' ridiculous loss to the Chargers yesterday, worry not - I'm over it. This is because I knew in the 3rd quarter that they were going to lose, so I had the whole rest of the game to get used to the disappointment. The precise moment I knew it was over was when the Colts "defense" allowed the Chargers to come back from a very long 3rd-down situation they'd gotten themselves into with such stupid penalties as 12 men on the field and delay of game. If your defense is going to let something like that happen, you're not going to win. Nay, you don't deserve to win. And don't even get me started on "Playoff Peyton."

Mostly, I'm just confused. I really thought the Colts were going to walk away with that game. They're good! Their defense has been good all year! Their offense has done well despite a - literally - crippling number of injuries. I don't know what happened, except that they're the Colts, and nothing they do surprises me.

So, while it might seem harsh that I wrote the Colts off in the 3rd quarter, let's all remember that they weren't really playing like a team that was going to the AFC Championship. For the whole game. Toward the end, the Charges didn't have Philip Rivers OR LaDainian Tomlinson, and the Colts defense still looked completely befuddled.

As a side note to Bob Sanders: that taunting penalty was really dumb (if you missed it, he slapped the Chargers kicker on the back after he missed a field goal). You are so much better than that!

And as a side note to Philip Rivers: I hope you are privately a nice guy, because yesterday you kind of seemed like a jerk. I know the Colts fans were ribbing you, but you seriously don't need to yell back at them. I would say the same thing if Chargers fans were giving Peyton Manning a hard time. That's one of the fans' most important jobs, after all. Also, I am annoyed that you wear my favorite number, 17. I wish you would get another number. But anyway.

However, I would like to say congratulations to Adam Viniateri for making what I believe was his longest field goal of the season. So that's something.

My coworkers were quite concerned for me today, and I appreciate that, but I'm really over it. I have a lifetime of being a Colts fan behind me, so if there's one thing I know how to deal with, it's disappointment. But I also hope they come out swinging next season! :)

No comments: