Sunday, November 2, 2008

Baby shower recipes

I've been meaning to post these for a few days, but it's been rather busy to say the least. And Friday night, I was so tired from the week that I fell asleep at 8:30. *chuckle*

Anyway, the baby shower menu seemed to be a great success, so I thought I would share the recipes I used. I'm sharing the recipes in their original quantities; I multiplied the amounts several times over to feed the big crowd we had here on Tuesday!

Tomato Basil Sauce
This is adapted from a Rachael Ray recipe. The only difference is that she uses 20 leaves of fresh basil and I only had dried. I made three times this amount for the shower, but I think this recipe would easily serve 6 to 8.

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (28-0z.) can crushed tomatoes
1 (14-oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
Salt and pepper
About 1 1/2 tablespoons dried basil

Heat a medium pot on the stove over medium heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil, garlic and onion. Let onions cook with garlic slowly over 15 minutes. Be careful not to brown the onions; just keep an eye on the heat and stir the onions frequently. After 15 minutes, stir in tomatoes and raise heat to medium-high. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in basil and heat through. Serve over pasta.

Parmesan Cream Sauce
This is adapted from an Emeril recipe. If you want the original, go here. Supposedly it serves 4, but I have doubts; it's not that much sauce. I made 6 times this much for the shower, but I did have a lot of leftovers.

6 tablespoons unsalted butter (I only doubled this for the huge amount I made; it's a lot of butter)
1 shallot, minced
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (although I think it would probably work okay with fresh grated regular parmesan...)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper

Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and sautee until tender. Add cream and bring to a boil. Cool until sauce has reduced slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted and well-blended. Serve over pasta.

Pasta Bar
Tomato Basil Sauce
Parmesan Cream Sauce
Grilled chicken, sliced
Cooked shrimp
Sauteed veggies: green, red and yellow peppers; mushrooms; red onion
Bow-tie pasta
Whole grain penne pasta
Parmesan cheese
Mixed green salad with croutons and various dressings
Dinner rolls

Dutch Apple Pie
I have had this recipe since approximately 9th grade, when I learned it in Mrs. Stephen's Foods class. I made it the first time Brock came to my house for dinner when we were 15. We weren't far enough in our relationship yet for him to tell me he didn't like apple pie, so I just assumed he didn't like MY apple pie. *chuckle* But Hannah likes this one.

Pie crust (I use Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts)
4 c. sliced Granny Smith apples
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 c. flour
1/3 c. soft butter
1/2 c. sugar

Place pie crust in 9-in. pie pan and flute the edges. Heap apples in crust. Mix 1/2 c. sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples. Make a crumb mixture of the sugar, flour and butter. Sprinkle evenly over the sugar-cinnamon mixture, covering the apples completely. Bake at 375 degrees for 50 min. or until bubbly and brown. (Extra-good when served warm with ice cream, but tastes good cold, too.)

Punch
Brock's mom introduced me to this. I have no idea what to call it, but it was a very big hit at the party. Double it for a crowd.

2 liter bottle of Canada Dry Ginger Ale
Country Time Lemonade Mix (measured to the top line in the cap)

Be careful when you mix it together, because the reaction is rather explosive. :)

I also made Garlic Onion Cheese Dip with crackers.

And finally, I had a LOT of leftover dinner rolls. I just baked the Pillsbury frozen dinner rolls, and after a couple of days we still had several left and they were starting to go stale. So yesterday I made bread pudding with them - and they made GREAT bread pudding. So here's that recipe.

Bread Pudding
Hannah really loved this.

4-5 c. soft bread crumbs (just tear up whatever bread you have)
2 c. milk, scalded with 1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1 c. chopped apple (I usually use apple instead of raisins, but just use raisins if that's what you prefer)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place bread crumbs in 1 1/2 or 2-qt. baking dish. Blend in remaining ingredients - start with the milk, because it helps make room for the other things. Place baking dish in 9x13 pan of hot water, about 1 in. deep. Bake 40-45 minutes or until knife inserted 1 in. from the edge of the pan comes out clean. (If you have a good glaze recipe, feel free to use it.)

I love good food!

No comments: