Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas song recommendations

I love holiday music. I say "holiday" because last year my friend Jen gave me the Barenaked for the Holidays CD (by the Barenaked Ladies) and I like the Hanukkah songs almost as much as the Christmas ones, although I confess I don't really feel the meaning of them since I'm not Jewish.

So on this, Christmas Eve Eve, I would like to offer a few of my favorite Christmas songs, because I can:
  • Christmas Song - Dave Matthews: A new approach to the story of Mary, Joseph and Jesus that is both beautiful and incredibly moving
  • God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - Barenaked Ladies & Sarah McLachlan: I like this song, but I like it a lot better when they sing it...it's got a lot more pep
  • Elf's Lament - Barenaked Ladies & Michael Buble: Just fun, and secular if you're not so into the "Jesus music"
  • It Came Upon A Midnight Clear - Sixpence None the Richer: Another updated take on an old song that I really, really like
  • The Night Santa Went Crazy - Weird Al Yankovic: Because it's hilarious, even if I can't listen to it with my daughter in the car :)
  • Christmas - Blues Traveler: Just discovered this one this year, and I love it
  • Darcy the Dragon - Roger Whittaker: If you are under 50 and did not grow up with my parents, you have probably never heard of Roger Whittaker or this song; while I admit that it, and the entire 1978 album it is on, is extremely cheesy, for me it means Christmas and reminds me of home
  • Best Gift - Barbra Streisand: My mom always said this song makes her think of me, because I'm a Christmastime baby...and that makes me feel pretty cool
  • I Wonder As I Wander - Barbra Streisand: It's okay to have Barbra Streisand on this list twice, because her voice is awesome (especially for Christmas music). And this is my number one, all-time favorite Christmas song, and nobody sings it better than her. Although my MIL sang this at church one year and I totally cried because it was so beautiful
Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. great post!!
Check out the10 Christmas songs that wouldn't make you wanna puke list.

Have a Merry one!