Sunday, May 4, 2008

Damn-delions

This afternoon, after Hannah got up from her nap (bless her for taking one), we went outside. I got it in my head that I wanted to dig up some of the dandelions around the patio. Our yard (front and back) is completely overrun with dandelions. We easily have 8,000 dandelions more than our closest competitor, but we have had zero chance to do anything about our yard this whole spring. It has been hectic. It's really not our fault. Really.

So, I gave Hannah a trowel and set her to work digging in the dirt in the flower bed, which she loved, and I dug up dandelions:

This (one 5-gallon bucket and two 10-inch pots) is just from immediately around our patio. I hate dandelions. But the view from the back door is significantly better now, and I do think it helped clear my head a bit to attack dandelions for an hour or so.

Maybe it's time to re-brand dandelions as a "bright-flowered, vigorous and hardy groundcover" rather than a weed. Then our yard would be the best one on the block rather than the weediest. :)

No comments: