Friday, May 2, 2008

NKOTB forever!

Brock would like to think he is my first and only love. I hate to break it to him, but as a preteen I actually learned what love was when I carried a flaming torch of passion for these guys:


And oh my gosh, you guys, the New Kids on the Block are back together - for real - and they're going on tour!! I am so going - with a group of at least four other girls who experienced similar love stories at similar ages.

The last time I saw NKOTB, I was about 11. It was my first concert. And I was convinced that Joey McIntyre would somehow pick me out of the crowd (you know, seeing across the thousands of people, all the way to the lawn swarming with screaming preteen girls), whisk me away and marry me. I was also under the impression that NKOTB was creating, right there in front of me, a legendary musical event. A legendary musical event that involved very large shoulder pads, humongous peace sign necklaces and hats with the top cut out, among other unfortunate 90s fashions. And pseudo-dancing while sitting on barstools.

Preteen girls are not rational creatures.

It turns out that nearly 30-year-old girls are not rational creatures, either, because my friend Jen and I were so excited when we saw NKOTB was coming to Chicago that we squealed right in the middle of our office. And then we started singing.

Ah, recapturing the magic of childhood. I LOVE YOU, JOEY MAC! Hee hee.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How many hours did we spend listening to NKOTB over and over again??????? I so thought of you when I heard they were back together!!!!!

Lindsey (Myers) Lowder

Junkyard Dog said...

I know! We were so in love. I could probably still sing all those songs. Who am I kidding? I have NKOTB Super Hits in the CD player in my car right now. The music's awful, but it brings back happy memories. :)