Tuesday, June 3, 2008

BARACK OBAMA!!!!

I just finished watching Barack Obama's speech in Minnesota. It occurs to me:

1) that I may never see another presidential candidate like this in my lifetime.
2) that one day, Hannah is going to ask us about this when she has to write a report for school.
3) that it feels pretty amazing to live through a historic time that's actually positive.
4) that this is the first time I have nearly cried when hearing a presidential candidate speak - because I was inspired, and hopeful, and optimistic, and moved.
5) that I am proud to have voted for this man three times.
6) that I am going to his next campaign event that is anywhere near where we live - and I don't care when it is. I will not miss out on this experience.
7) that Barack Obama is an excellent example of why I always wanted to get into politics - and his rarity is the reason why I didn't do it.
8) that it may be weird to clap and cheer for a political speech while sitting in your living room in your pajamas, but I did it anyway.
9) that this is the first time I've really wanted someone to be president because I believed in him, and not because I just really didn't want the other guy.
10) that I am, for once, extremely proud to be an American.

If he's elected president, Barack Obama certainly won't be able to do everything he wants to do; no president ever can. But he's a once-in-a-lifetime candidate, and he makes me believe things can be better. I'm in awe that I am living through the time in American history when we finally have an African American presidential candidate. I am in awe that it's THIS African American candidate who, even if he were purple, would still be the most inspiring political figure I've ever seen. I feel privileged to be part of this, even if my part is very small.

I can't wait to vote again!

1 comment:

Redhoon said...

I completely agree. Very well said. :)