Friday, September 14, 2007

Cheating cheaters who cheat

I should really be getting ready for work right now, but I just had to find a minute to say something about the New England Patriots.

It's no secret to those who know me: I am a passionate Patriot anti-fan. This is partially due to the fact that I am, and have been since about the age of 5 or 6, an even more passionate Indianapolis Colts fan. The two teams were division rivals for years and the Patriots regularly beat the Colts, and so I hate them (not as people, but as a football team). One of the best moments in my life was watching the Colts pull out a come-from-behind victory over the Patriots in last year's playoffs. I also enthusiastically enjoy watching the Patriots lose to just about anyone else.

So the fact that the Patriots illegally used sideline video last week against the Jets, and maybe previously against other teams, is both somewhat vindicating and really pathetic. I mean, I may hate the Patriots, but they're good - so why even bother? They don't need to cheat. But they did, and they are officially Cheating Cheaters Who Cheat, and I hope everyone knows this and stops talking about what a revolutionary head coach Bill Belichick is. He's acted kind of like a jerk through this whole thing and he deserved his big fine ($500,000). The team deserved their fine, too ($250,000) and I'm happy they're also losing a draft pick or picks. They acted like idiots and they cheated, and I don't care if they never used the video inappropriately (as they say) - they shouldn't have done it. So there. There' s just no excuse, and they all should have known better.

As a side note, I really wish everyone would stop fawning over Tom Brady. He's good. But really, give it a rest. He's not a god.

No comments: