Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Killer popcorn

I get that the story about the guy who got "popcorn workers' lung" after eating two bags of microwave popcorn a day for 10 years is compelling. (Here's the story if you haven't read it.) But I think the media is getting a little wiggy about it. I just saw a teaser for it on our local news, and I imagine a lot of other people are seeing it on their local news broadcasts, too. Really...there's nothing better to talk about? I appreciate that it's interesting, but why can't they just position it that way, rather than, "Popcorn lovers beware...a killer lurks in your crunchy snack"?

I think if you eat two bags of popcorn a day for 10 years, you're in trouble, even if you don't get popcorn workers' lung. The article says this guy lost 50 pounds (and can breathe better) after cutting microwave popcorn out of his diet. Hmmm...so maybe they should do stories about how eating that much popcorn isn't good for you, anyway, rather than focusing on some crazy thing that you're unlikely to get unless you do, in fact, work in a popcorn factory.

Although I suppose they should figure out how to remove whatever it is that's bad for you to inhale...just on principle, inhaling the aroma of your food should not be a health hazard. Besides, why didn't anyone care about popcorn workers' lung when only the popcorn workers were getting it?

I'm glad we just bought a spiffy new popcorn popper. We don't add any diacetyl to our popcorn when we make it, so I guess we're probably safe - for now, anyway...

No comments: