Saturday, February 2, 2008

Chippendale skillet

Brock has made the observation that my blog is quickly becoming all about politics and food. I guess there are worse things I could spend a lot of time thinking and writing about. Anyway, here's another new recipe, which we really enjoyed. I found the original in Simple & Delicious, where it was called "Kielbasa Bow Tie Skillet." But I hardly ever use recipes exactly the way they're written and I changed this one too, so Brock re-named it....

Chippendale Skillet

8 oz. uncooked bow-tie (farfalle) pasta
1 lb. smoked sausage, sliced
1 jar (4.5 oz) sliced mushrooms, drained
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 tblsp. butter
1 tblsp. cornstarch
1 1/2 c. milk
4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 c. veggies (I used frozen California Blend, zapped in the microwave for about 3 min.)

Cook the pasta according to package directions. At the same time, in a large skillet, sautee sausage, mushrooms and garlic in butter. Combine the cornstarch and milk until smooth; stir that into the sausage mixture. Bring to a boil and keep cooking and stirring for a couple of minutes until the sauce thickens. Add the cheese and stir till it's melted. Stir in the pasta and veggies and cook till it's heated through.

"Why is it called Chippendale Skillet?" you ask.

Because it has bow ties and sausage! ;)

No comments: