Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Man is getting me down

Amendment to last post: IT department now won't install software to let me sync up my phone to my new laptop because they "can't support personal hardware devices." Apparently allowing you to plug said hardware into your computer is "support." (I have not determined what this might mean for my headphones or my jump drive. Frankly, I fear for their future.)

In all fairness, I do believe the person who was forced to give me this news felt it was ridiculous, too, but that doesn't mean they're going to cave.

If I weren't working on a computer at work that still has a floppy drive (this is no joke - if you have floppy disks from college and you're wondering how you can reclaim your masterpiece term papers from history class in this age of jump drives, just send them on over to me and I can get that taken care of for you), I would be sorely tempted to just forget about the laptop.

I realize I am violating my personal code about not blogging about work, but seriously. I'm like an IT person's dream! I don't install weird stuff, I'm quite computer literate, and I never ask them for anything! AND I even lock my computer every time I leave my desk for any length of time. NOBODY does that. Seems to me that following the rules is not all it's cracked up to be. Where, I ask you, is the love?

No comments: